Wednesday, 8 October 2014

Infinite Sky

I picked this book up from my local "The Works" store on their 3 books for £5 offer. The cover doesn't do anything for me but the title and blurb intrigued me so it made the final cut along with Delerium and The Stepford Wives.

The story starts as Iris' already-falling-apart family is rocked further by the arrival of a family of Irish Travellers in their backyard.

Her mam left their family to travel the world following falling out of love with Iris' dad (who we find out can't work the washing machine or the iron...). Her Dad deals with this by drinking his nights away at the local pub. Iris' older brother, Sam, is more affected by his mother's leaving than he lets on.

Iris sees the best in everyone and whilst spying on the travellers one day ends up befriending Trick, the teenage traveller who has moved in with his Father, Mother and three little sisters, the forge a friendship which Iris keeps a secret from her family as not to "rock the boat".

Most of the story, i'm not going to lie, isn't really my cup of tea. However, something happens 3/4 of the way through the book that broke my heart into pieces, if you have siblings then this book will make you appreciate them, no matter how much you argue.

I haven't read about 6 pages of this book as I read it throughout a few of my dinner hours at work and I literally had to stop reading and skip a few pages as I was about to burst into tears. I don't know what happens in those pages and I don't intend on finding out anytime soon, this shows that Flood is capable of good writing I was just disappointed that it only happened at the end of the book.

Rating 2/5 and that's only because of the amazing writing that got to me at the end of the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment